Deadline to Submit
Saturday, April 1, 2017
Details of the competition are shown below:
CALL FOR ENTRIES:
THE 5nd ANNUAL WILL GROSSMAN MEMORIAL
Opening Date for the exhibition: Saturday, April 8, 2017 from 5 to 7 PM
Selected works will be displayed through May 13, 2017
The Will Grossman Photography Awards:
First Place (The Will Grossman Award) $1,000.00
Second Prize $500.00
Third Prize $250.00
Honorable Mentions and Peoples Choice prizes will also be awarded.
There may be a one-person exhibition of one photographer's work based on the merit of work presented.
Winners will be formally announced at the opening reception.
Jurors for the competition:
- Katie Seiz: Director Durham Art Guild
- Saba Taj: artist and activist
- Margaret Sartor: photographer, writer, designer, curator and educator
About the Award and Competition:
When Will Grossman, long time Durham resident, business owner, community activist and artist, passed away in 2012 his family and friends wanted to remember him and provide for the community through an artistic legacy. The generosity of many friends and family helped establish a fund to endow a photo competition in remembrance of Will Grossman and his good work - and to promote photography in the Triangle.
- The theme of the 2017 competition is Your Best Shot and may include any photographs made by the particpant.
- Any photographic process or combination of processes may be used. Mixed media is allowed, as long as the photographic process is dominant.
- Deadline: Submissions must be received no later than 4 PM, Saturday April 1, 2017.
- Submission Requirements: Work must be submitted framed and ready to hang.
- JPEG (JPG) files of images submitted must be delivered via flash drive, or sent via email, so that we may use them for publicity and to help track your work.
- Fees: There is a non-refundable entry fee of $30 for up to 3 images. Payment may be made via US mail with checks made payable to Through This Lens, or in person at the time entries are submitted. Cash, Checks, and Credit Cards are accepted in the gallery.
- Required Information to include when emailing jpgs of your submissions:
Your name, daytime phone, physical mailing address including zip code, statement that the submission(s) is/are your original work, title, date created, place created, sale price (remember the gallery will keep 30% of this price), and any other information including artist's statement.
- Size & Framing: Work selected for the exhibition must be ready to hang. A sturdy wire must be attached for hanging purposes, with at least 2" between the wire and the top of the frame, when hung. Maximum size of the mat, or the print if not matted, should not exceel 20" in either direction.
- Sale of Work: Artists are encouraged to offer their work for sale. Please list the selling price on your entry forms. The gallery will retain 30% commission from any sales. Payment will be made to the artist within 10 days of the closing date of the exhibition.
- Liability: While all submissions will be handled with care, the competition board members, judges, Through This Lens, staff members or volunteers will not be responsible for loss or damage to any artwork or framing.
- Pick Up of Work: Work not sold must be picked up between 10:30 AM
Tuesday, May 16, and 4 PM, Saturday, May 20.
- Questions: Contact Roylee Duvall, director of Through This Lens, at 919.687.0250 firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone calls are best.
- Special Opportunity: Be a volunteer for the competition for special recognition and waiver of entry fees, if you choose to participate in the competition. A limited number of volunteer positions are open.