Deadline to Submit
Saturday, March 10, 2018
Updated Details of the competition are shown below:
CALL FOR ENTRIES:
THE 6nd ANNUAL WILL GROSSMAN MEMORIAL
Opening Date for the exhibition: Saturday, March 31, 2018 from 2 to 4 PM
Selected works will be displayed through May 13, 2017
The Will Grossman Photography Awards:
First Place (The Will Grossman Award) $1,000.00
Second Prize $350.00
Third Prize $250.00
Honorable Mentions and Peoples Choice prizes will also be awarded.
***NEW*** One-person Exhibition Competition***NEW***
Any artist who enters work into the 6th Annual Will Grossman Memorial Photo Competition may also enter at no additional cost a portfolio of 15-30 images via email, the web, or drop off a CD/DVD or Flash Drive at the gallery. The artist selected will recieve $1,000 in credit toward printing and/or framing by Through This Lens. The portfolio winner may be one of the individual prize winners but the portfolio slection is entriely separate, and may be awarded to an artist that does not win another award. Exhibition dates for the winner will be arranged by agreement between the artist and Through This Lens management.
Winners will be formally announced at the opening reception.
Jurors for the competition:
- Lawrence J. Wheeler, Director North Carolina Museum of Art
- Elena Rue, Co-founder of StoryMine, photographer and photo educator
- Frank Konhaus, Director of Cassilhaus and founder of Kontech
About the Award and Competition:
When Will Grossman, long time Durham resident, business owner, community activist and artist, passed away in 2012 his family and friends wanted to remember him and provide for the community through an artistic legacy. The generosity of many friends and family helped establish a fund to endow a photo competition in remembrance of Will Grossman and his good work - and to promote photography in the Triangle.
- The theme of the 2018 competition is Your Best Images and may include any photographs made by the particpant.
- Any photographic process or combination of processes may be used. Mixed media is allowed, as long as the photographic process is dominant.
- Deadline: Submissions must be received no later than 4 PM, Saturday March 10, 2018.
- Submission Requirements: Work must be submitted framed and ready to hang.
- JPEG (JPG) files of images submitted must be delivered via flash drive, or sent via email, so that we may use them for publicity and to help track your work. In the event that you don't have electronic versions of your work please let us know so that we can photograph your entries for our records
- Fees: There is a non-refundable entry fee of $30 for up to 3 images. Payment may be made via US mail with checks made payable to Through This Lens, or in person at the time entries are submitted. Cash, Checks, and Credit Cards are accepted in the gallery. There is no additional fee for portfolio submission, but portfolios are only accepted from competition entrants.
- Required Information to include when emailing jpgs of your submissions:
Your name, daytime phone, physical mailing address including zip code, statement that the submission(s) is/are your original work, title, date created, place created, sale price (remember the gallery will keep 30% of this price), and any other information including artist's statement.
- Size & Framing: Work selected for the exhibition must be ready to hang. A sturdy wire must be attached for hanging purposes, with at least 2" between the wire and the top of the frame, when hung. Maximum size of the mat, or the print if not matted, should not exceel 20" in either direction.
- Sale of Work: Artists are encouraged to offer their work for sale. Please list the selling price on your entry forms. The gallery will retain 30% commission from any sales. Payment will be made to the artist within 10 days of the closing date of the exhibition.
- Liability: While all submissions will be handled with care, the competition board members, judges, Through This Lens, staff members or volunteers will not be responsible for loss or damage to any artwork or framing.
- Pick Up of Work: Work not sold must be picked up at a time to be announced. We have limited storage, so once the pickup time is set please contact us if you need special consideration.
- Questions: Contact Roylee Duvall, director of Through This Lens, at 919.687.0250 email@example.com. Phone calls are best.
- Special Opportunity: Be a volunteer for the competition for special recognition and waiver of entry fees, if you choose to participate in the competition. A limited number of volunteer positions are open.